Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Glycolic Skin Care/ Review


Glycolic acid
What does it claim to do?-Glycolic acid is an exfoliator. It removes dead skin cells and 'resurfaces' the texture of your face. (see http://skincare.about.com/od/skin101/qt/Glycolic-Acid-Skin-Benefits.htm or have a look on Carolinehirons' website)

Having suffered from hormonal breakouts for over three years now, I'm up for trying anything to sort it out. I've changed contraceptive pill several times (TMI?) to see if it makes any difference, and I have to say my most recent one- Cerelle- has made my skin the best yet.
Anyway, years of breakouts around my chin and jaw area has left me with a sprinkling of little red scars, as well as the occasional spot or two as well. Delightful. Recently, I have been reading a lot of skincare blogs, finding out what I could use to help my scars heal and my skin improve.
After reading A LOT  of Caroline Hirons' blog (google her if you don't know her- she's amazing and hilarious to read), I noticed a lot of recommendations for acid toners and serums, especially for problem skin. And SO, after disregarding her recommendations as too expensive (I'm a student), I did a bit of poking around on the web and found this brand- Nip and Fab. I purchased the Glycolic Fix Serum, and the Exfoliating Facial Pads (which I believe are similar to the first aid beauty facial pads, and a fiver cheaper).

Here are my reviews-
There's not much to see of the serum- its a clear, light liquid which sinks into the skin really really quickly. It smells incredibly fresh, almost clinical, and I apply it in the evening before moisturiser after using a normal cleanser and toner. I began by using this in the morning, and the pads in the evening rather than the other way around because I didn't notice the small 'overnight' note on the serum bottle. Oops. However,it seems to work both ways. 
The pads are literally cotton wool circular pads soaked in liquid. These do smell strong, again very clinical, and I wouldn't recommend them if you can't stand things like that. However, they really feel- and smell- like they are doing something. Really fresh and cold, absolutely soaked in liquid so your face does get quite wet, but it does sink in pretty quickly. I use these in the mornings after a quick cleanse, before moisturiser and everything else.

I have noticed a big difference since I started using these two products. My skin has been so much better (I have also swapped milk to almond/soya milk which must also be having a good effect), and my scars really are fading. Unfortunately I don't have a before/after photograph but I have noticed my scars fading, and disappearing after continual use. I definitely think putting acid into your routine is a good idea, especially if you have problem skin like me.
For me, these are relatively expensive products (they came to about £18 together), and are probably the priciest part of my skincare routine. However, if, like me, you are short on the dollar, I would recommend having a look at this brand, as they seem to do the job. After I finish them both I may only repurchase one or the other- probably the serum- and see if the effects are still as noticable. 
Nip and Fab is available at Boots, Superdrug and Asos.


Lou x