Monday, 25 May 2015

That Summer Base


I have long been embracing the natural colour of my skin. But, what I do not embrace, is the fact that I literally have not experienced the sun for months. As a student, I spend (spent- I have just finished) most days in my room/in the library, and therefore my skin has reached levels far beyond 'pale'. I mean, it was almost blue.
So, I've decided its ok to do a little bit of faking, as I have always felt better in the summer when my skin looks more healthy and glowy, and just more skin-like.
It's also very hard, in my experience, to look good with very pale skin, especially because I have never had perfect skin. I feel that the scars and the blemishes looked extra harsh on the white canvas of my face, whereas, in the summer, when my freckles are out in force, everything seems to look just a bit softer, ya know?
Anyway! After that rambly justification, I thought I'd share two splurge- purchases I made recently which have really made my skin feel and look naturally a lot better.


First of all, if you're like me, and the words 'fake' and 'tan' put images of blotchy hand creases and knees into your mind, fear not! This little gem works a treat for a boost of colour.
The Clarins Radiance Plus Golden Glow Booster is a concentrated oil which you mix into your moisturiser (I use the Body Shop Vitamin E moisturiser) at night, and let it gently tan your skin over night. I use two or three drops every other night, and have found that the results are amazing.
It is more of a yellow- tan than an olive tan if you get me- not in a bad way at all, but because my skin is quite yellow toned anyway, it works well for me.
The one caution with this is the blending. Always make sure you have blended in all of your moisturiser all over your face (and neck- that's where I went wrong) to make sure it doesn't leave any marks (which are quite subtle, but still noticeable).
But, if you use this right, your skin will have just that little tint of summer- skin- ness. Amazing. I love this, it's a new beauty must-have for me.


Secondly, the perfect summer base. And I mean perfect.
If you're a loyal beauty- blog reader or YouTube video watcher, you will know that this product has had a considerable amount of buzz about it since Day 1.
Its the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue.
This is essentially a really fantastic tinted moisturiser with SPF 30- perfect for Summer holidays and warmer weather in general.


I have mine in shade 02 Vanilla, which isn't the lightest shade, but is more yellow- toned than 01 Opal, which is more pink.
The texture is described as gel-like, and it is a bit. Really light and quick to blend into the skin. What I like most about this is how moisturising it is. With most bases, I find my forehead lines get pretty pronounced as my skin dries up throughout the day, and foundation tends to settle in the creases. With this, I don't get that at all. There's a glow on my skin all day long, and my skin feels nourished and plump.


You're thinking- 'I thought you said your skin is more tanned than usual?' Believe me, it is...plus the light is making everything more white- washed than it would normally be, but I hope you can see how natural my skin looks with the Complexion Rescue on. I have a dab of concealer under my eyes but nothing else, and I think the coverage isn't bad, considering I have my fair share of 'imperfections'.

So, if you're looking for a light SPF'd summer base which is glowy and just generally amazing, look absolutely no further. And, if you want that tint of summer sun before the sun even gets here, the Clarins Glow Booster is worth a look too. They're both pretty premium but I think they are totally worth the money, and I would buy both again.
Thanks for reading!
Lou x